Monday, September 05, 2005

A second home

I will officially move into the dorm on Monday evening but its condition does not look fit for habitation. The renovation work of the dorm is still in progress and they're building something bridge-like next to it, so the whole area looks like a construction site.

In fact, the scaffolding is still clinging to the building and its interior smells of strongly acidic, cancer-causing substance. I had a quick look of the apartment on Friday but I felt like being on ground zero of a sarin gas attack. I tried to hold my breath when I got into the building but it didn't help much as the situation in the apartment was just as worse. My eyes watered fiercely the moment I entered the room. There was no fan installed in the room (there was ONE in my undergrad dorm!) and wind could not rush in as it was blocked by the green net (the construction thing) hanging on the scaffolding, so the odor was trapped in the room. I could only stay in there for some 30 seconds before I rushed out of that.

There was no drinkable water provided (again, we had it in undergrad dorm! I had to bring in my own kettle), no guard or janitor (that means nobody knows even if you got killed in the apartment. The acidic odor would mask the smell of corpse decomposition), no computer room (I can lead a Zen-like life) and no working light bulb in one of the toilets (luckily there are 2 washrooms).

So far as I observed, only a Mainland student has moved in and she told me that it took at least 2 weeks to get the whole thing ready. Anyway, I moved in some personal stuff which could sustain at least a week of survival on Saturday and will stay there on Monday after the orientation talk.

With a lovely roommate and a very friendly flatmate (so far), I'm sure I can have a happy time at dorm despite the chaotic surrounding. : )

PS Special thanks to Cath, hohoho...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home